Tuesday 26 July 2011

Namibia, wanted dead or alive.

  • Part 1: Northern border to Windhoek.
Passing through the border gates into Namibia was like passing over the brow of a big hill and seeing the finish line of a race. With Cape Town in South Africa just 1400 miles away I could almost see the end of my journey, feeling partly sad, yet also happy. Not having to obtain anymore visas was good and meant I could just concentrate on the cycling and scenery. I had been looking forward to Namibia, a haven for wildlife parks and reserves.



After filing in the entry card and passport stamped I was officially in. The border town of Oshikango was certainly a change from the norm. Other border towns had been, well, villages. But this place was totally different, a shopping mall with banks, Spar, clothes shops, Wimpy, KFC. I could certainly taste some Western life here. The prices were also a much appreciated difference after expensive Angola. After sending a few emails back home off I go. The first thing I noticed on the road was, well, can you notice?

 This was the first time I’d seen this sign in Africa, I could only assume the country has reasonable health care?

 Pedestrians are in that much of a rush that their given speed restrictions.

 Not far to the keep-fit class.

The first night I camped at a family home just off the main road. Asking if I could pitch on their land they gladly said yes. Later asking if I could use some water from an outside tap to wash they offered me the use their shower, a promptly accepted offer after a 8 days of free camping and washing in cold, clear-water streams. Hopefully this fine hospitality would be common-place in Namibia. I was woke in the night by strong gust’s of wind, pounding the side of the tent like a ships sail. The wind continued into the following morning, a constant breeze with regular bursts of gusts. I was heading south, into the wind. Later that day I’m told that July and August are the windy months in Namibia.



The next main town shown on the map was Ondangwa, about 50 miles away. Having been informed much of Namibia has nothing but open space in between the towns so I stocked up on food supplies, but to my surprise small villages appeared every few miles along the road, these were mainly corrugated steel huts, and each village had several bars with big names painted on the front such as “Namibar”, “No’1 Bar”, “Best bar”. It looked like Namibians liked their drink!


Along the main road picnic / rest areas were common. These were seen every 4-5 miles or so and they proved a useful break from the nasty, cold southern winds.


On day three I arrive at the town of Oshivelo, shown on the map as a big town I was looking forward to getting there as I needed to re-stock on food, but unfortunately the town had little to offer me, and if anything resembled a spread-out village. Luckily I found somewhere that sold food, a shop that I had not seen since the UK!

Also shown on the map next to Oshivelo was a vehicle ‘Control-Post’. This consisted of a lorry weigh-bridge, which showed signs of an evolved country with strict rules on vehicles, and also a cattle inspection post. Namibian farmers are mainly cattle farmers, with herds being huge, 600+, and need to ensure they do not get infected with diseases and pests from neighboring countries so have an isolation zone. From here livestock is allowed to pass north, but once past the checkpoint it is not allowed back south. This can prove a problem for farmers who have cattle stolen, if it’s taken into the north zone then it’s difficult for them to retrieve without several months of quarantine, of which they have to pay. Cattle theft is common, sometimes just slaughtered there and then in the field with the required cuts being taken, this is normally done by less fortunate villagers. One farmer I spoke to had 27 cows slaughtered in 1 year.


Several miles further down from the check point it dawned on me the road-side villages had disappeared; I guess this is where the open space of Namibia I had been warned about really starts. Just before the town of Tsumeb was Otjikoto Lake. The lake was once a large dolomite cave but was exposed when the dome of the cave collapsed.

 


In 1907 the German, ex colonizers, made use of the water to supply the town of Tsumeb with water. Being 12 miles away a pump of reasonable size was required. Tsumeb grew due the mineral rich lands that surrounded it. The Tsumeb mine is the only one in the world where all the elements are found; Copper, Lead, Zinc, Silver, Gold, Germanium, Cadmium etc all in one ore body. 217 different minerals are mined, 10 of which found no where else in the world. The gift shop sold various crystals and polished stones that are also found in the mine(s). After WWII the Germans had dumped excess artillery into the lake, these included 8 field cannons, 2x 3.7cm automatic machine guns, 4x 7cm mountain guns, 3x 6cm mountain guns and a safe with contents unknown. The Windhoek diving team on several occasions have retrieved some of the guns.

 
That night I stayed in the town Tsumeb, the campsite at the edge of town wanted N$157 (£15.), knowing this was expensive I went into town to compare prices. I was soon directed to a place that rented bungalows for a good price. There was a kitchen with utensils and double hob, a bedroom TV, all clean and tidy for just N$140 (£14). OK, maybe not a vast difference but the advantages being I could cook a hot dinner, watch some TV (Tour de France) and didn’t have to mess around with a tent were of benefit.


Tsmeb really resembled a typical American town. Clean and tidy, open front and sided lawns, 4-way stops at crossroad intersections, the high street had similar styled shops, palm-tree lined dual carriage-way entry road. Certainly a change from what I had got used to.

 
The altitude had remained pretty much the same since climbing up to 1200m in Angola, just a slight climb up to Tsumeb, at ~ 1300m. On leaving the town the next day the climb continued up another 100m as the route twisted and winded on a minimal traffic road, clear blue skies and crisp fresh air.

 Room with a view! A wild-life watching post on the edge of one of the reserves.

The next town was Otavi, 40 miles away, and planned to re-stock on supplies and continue, still aiming for a minimum of 60 miles (100km) per day. At Tsumeb the direction changed from a south-east to a south-west, giving me a cross/tail wind, this helped greatly and easily achieved the distance. The town of Otavi was pretty much a large petrol station with café/bar/hotel and a collection of houses of on the far side, so only buying a few basics I head off.

The map showed a town, Platveld, 70km from Otavi, so I planned to head there. Unfortunately the town never turned up and I presumed it to be a farming village whereby any farms with-in a certain boundary of that area would have Platveld as there address. Toward the end of the day a passing car briefly de-accelerates and pulls over onto the grass verge, the Japanese driver jumps out and asks if I need water, still carrying enough I decline his offer but he then offers me 1 litre of milk, gladly accepting this he also passes me 2 yoghurts, 4 oranges and, of all things, a curry pie. A welcomed hand-out after assuming dinner would be peanut butter sandwiches. A few miles further down the road I spotted a farm set back away from the road, asking here if I can camp on their land I was shown a suitable area. The following morning I’m offered a coffee and I ask about the most suitable route, with regard to water as the towns are so far apart and rivers now dry I had to plot carefully. At the next town of Otjiwarango I had previously planned to take the secondary route as the towns are closer together, although the road would not be as good as it would take longer to reach Windhoek, the capital. The lady says staying on the main road to Okahandja would be ok as there is a farm 70km from Otjiwarango and they would no doubt help out. That town was very nice and also had a very American feel to it, calling in at a café for a cheese toasty and tea and then a spot of emailing and updating the blog’s map. Pushing-on the road continued much the same for the rest of the day. The route had started to become a bit ‘samey’, with occasional herds of vehicles zipping past at the 120kph speed limit and same open plan plateau views.

The farm soon turned up and the farmer, Bennie, gladly let me pitch the tent on his nice green lawn. Later, just after tucking into a tin of baked beans and crinkle crisps for dinner his son, Burtie, walks over and asks if I would like to sleep inside on a couch-bed as it was going to be cold that night. Initially declining but later, after being invited in for a few glasses of red wine, good dinner and coffee I accept. They had friends visiting, Evert and Erina, of whom were also farmers and living just 93 miles (150km) from Cape Town invited me to stay at their farm when passing…. on the closing days of my tour ;-(.
The following day I started riding later than normal but with a good excuse. Bennie’s wife ‘T’ had invited me for breakfast. A fine spread of bread, rolls, cheese, ham, coffee and tea, an excellent way to start the day on a saddle of a cold Namibian morning. Things seemed to be working out well and the day’s destination of Okahandja was another 60 miles (100km). Again the route continued much the same and I started having thoughts about using some of the secondary routes after Windhoek, it would be silly to just stay on the main roads and ‘zip’ through a country I had been looking forward to seeing.

 Okahandja had one of the best campsites I had ever stayed at. It was a hotel / camping complex along with a bar, restaurant and swimming pool. The campsite felt so in tune with nature, the toilets and shower facilities were all open air, with 6ft grass reed screens to give total privacy. Showering under a tree with birds twittering around was certainly strange, the open-air acoustics, so different to that of a tiled bathroom gave it such a naturist’s feel. Being out of season the place was deserted, just like the campsites I stayed at back in Portugal, all those months ago. Due to Sunday trading laws I was unable to buy a beer at the ‘Pay n Play’ supermarket that evening so after dinner I popped to the bar for one. After downing a bottle of Windhoek I was just stepping down from the bar stool when the bar-man places another one in front of me and points to a man further down who had bought it. He seemed quite drunk and decided to buy everyone at the bar whatever they had been drinking, halfway through that one another one appears, and before I had chance to start that he shouts “another round of drinks for everyone bar-man” at which I have to decline. He slurs “What’s the matter, are you married?” I replied “No, I’m on a bicycle! To start cycling, on a cold morning after 4 beers the night before would not be clever, I’ll save the drinking for Cape Town!


The next day was just 44 miles (70km) to Windhoek. Talking to a man the night before I’m informed it’s a clean, tidy and well organized city, and how true this was. My “Africa’s cleanest city so far award” has now been retrieved from Gabon’s Libreville and handed to Windhoek, with a clear lead.  

 Accommodation was at the “Cardboard box back papers hostel + camping”. This place was a real bargain. N$70 (£7) to camp and included breakfast with coffee/tea, free wifi, hot showers, a kitchen with 2 double hobs and utensils, a swimming pool - although far too cold this time of year, and a well stocked bar. I took two days off there, mainly for blog work. Namibia is a popular country for safari tours and tour operators use the hostel as a stop-over so the hostel was constantly busy with new customers coming and going.

On the second day another bicycle tourer turns up. Rin is from Japan and is presently 4 years into a world tour. So far completed Alaska to Patagonia, then over to Europe for Switzerland, Germany, Poland, The Baltics, Finland, Norway, Scotland, England, France, Spain, Portugal then over to Africa at Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, then flying to Cape Town and heading Northward through central Africa to Egypt. So far completing 50,000km’s. His Cape Town to Windhoek section was of interest to me. He gave some much needed information about some of the secondary routes and trails and allowed me to plot an alternative route, away from the [by now] mundane main road. I planned to head to Kalkrand, just two more days on the main road then ‘swing a right’ onto some gravel routes.

  • Part 2: Windhoek to the Southern border:
 Accommodation on the first night from Windhoek was at a B&B, with a slight ‘twist’. I asked if I could pitch my tent and just have the breakfast, a first for the proprietor, but presented no problem. The second night was at Karkland. A rather smart campsite with a restaurant/breakfast bar, pond, stream and ducks. The gravel road I took from here was a welcomed break. A good condition, concrete based, route with just occasional washboard sections to bump over. Traffic on this route was almost non-existent so free-camping for the following three nights just off the road was safe, not having to hide behind hedges as normal. Here I had one of my best free-camp spots. For most of the day I had been following a long plateau, set back several miles away with and occasionally passing large natural ponds / reservoirs just inside the barb-wired fields, many times seeing cattle gathered around these drinking. When free-camping finding a good location with a water source is not always easy so upon passing a reservoir at 4:30pm I decide to call it a day. It was surrounded by a flat gravel area. Clearing the stones with a brush made from clumps of dried grass I pitched the tent. Making use of the water to clean myself and filling water bottles. The setting was perfect. How many times have you been somewhere and heard nothing, absolutely nothing, total silence? I could hear a pin drop a mile away, but it never happened, just silence. Sun-set revealed a wonderful orange glow on the horizon, making way for another chilly Namibian night. Morning temperatures since southern Angola had been about 5’C so the sun re-appearing over the horizon was always a welcomed sight, feeling its rays slowly warming.

The following town’s name was longer than the town itself, Helmeringhausen was straight out the wild-west. I expected John Wayne to come trotting into town. Much of this section of Namibia had reminded me of USA’s Arizona. Dry, open spaces with town offering nothing much.

Getting low on cash was a concern, with only one more big town to go through I had to ensure it had an ATM. Luckily the small village of Aus had one inside the store. Arriving here early I had time to give the bike a once-over. Replacing a stiff chain-link and reversing the rear sprocket as it had started jumping due to the worn teeth. From here the next, and last, town was Rosh Pinah, 100miles (160km) away. Aiming to achieve this in one day I was told most of it is downhill. A gradual 2% descent for the first few hours slowly tapered down from the 1100m altitude I’d been on since southern Angola, although a final climb of 300m, then descending back down, arriving later than normal the sun had started to drop and I was concerned about finding a campsite. The town had evolved due to the zinc, lead and diamond mining industry so tourism was not exactly on the agenda hence campsites were not common. The police said there was one, 15km away! With attempts to camp at a few guest house’s being declined I was eventually taken in by a couple who lived on a temporary housing area for mine workers. Russell + Beanice lived in a portacabin caravan and let me sleep in their son’s bed. They even fed and watered me, another fine show of hospitality. In the morning making use of the town’s internet café and stocking up on a few supplies before travelling the last few miles of Namibia, heading toward the ferry to cross the River Orange that separates this area with South Africa.


The Namibian customs check-point was a rather a worrying experience. Handing the customs officials my passport they scan it, whilst I completed the departure form. 10 minutes later they still have the passport, scurrying back and forward to another room. I ask what’s wrong and they say just a small problem and to be patient. Another 10 minutes and their boss turns up, along with a policeman. Now theres four of them gathered around the pc, pointing at the monitor and talking to one another in their native Afrikaans language. Another 10 minutes and three more police officers turn up. With Rosh Pinah being 20 miles away these officers had to have come from there and I could clearly see this was not a small problem. I say to them “seven people for a small problem? Can someone please tell me what’s going on?” The chief officers replies “Our system shows you as a wanted person”Uh!  Explaining what I had been doing for the past 11 months he asks me further questions, confirming my passport details, then after several phone calls to whomever and an hour of waiting he explains there is obviously another person with the same name and apologizes for the delay. With my passport exit-stamped I’m off! 200 metres down the road I board the ferry across the river, into the final country; The Republic of South Africa.

0 comments: